Job hunting season is in full swing and Career Services is here to help. This past summer the LAS Career Services office underwent a huge renovation. It was aimed to combine the two separate offices we had and make them a collaborative space better suited to serve students. This means more opportunities for us to grow our services and resources for YOU! We have seen increased student traffic this fall semester and want to continue on that trend.
With an increase in traffic and resources, we wanted to lay out some steps to take so that you can make the most of this job-hunting season!
- That first step is making sure that you have an updated resume and cover letter. You want to make sure you stand out from all of the other candidates. By taking a look at the resources on our website you’ll be able to look at some sample resumes and cover letters from different majors and see general tips and tricks.
- Your next step is to start looking for job/internship opportunities! There’s no better place to start than looking at CyHire. This has hundreds of opportunities posted by companies that want to hire Iowa State students. You can filter for opportunities within your major and find the ones that interest you the most.
- Once you’ve found that perfect opportunity, you’ll have to wow them with your interviewing skills. Our website has examples of interview questions, tips & tricks, and other resources to help you practice or prep. You can also set up an appointment through Cyhire or come into our office to do a mock interview with one of our Career Advisors.
- Once you feel prepped, you can reserve one of our brand new interview rooms so that you can have a quiet space to talk with the employer. Email email@example.com to reserve one of our interview rooms in Carver Hall.
- Once you accept your offer we also have best practices when it comes to salary and benefit negotiations.
If you ever have any questions about the resources I listed above, or need help on where to start, head on to Cyhire and schedule an appointment with one of our career advisors or email firstname.lastname@example.org.