Numerous career fairs are held on Iowa State University's campus each year. All students, alumni, and job seekers are welcome to attend. For a complete list of upcoming career fairs, click here. Students and alumni can view employers attending on CyHire.
Career Fair Tips for Students
Career fairs are excellent opportunities explore potential internship and career opportunities. Even if you're not currently seeking a position, attend career fairs to build relationships by networking with employers.
To ensure a great career fair experience, take note of these tips:
- Dress professionally. Business suits, slacks, dress shirts, ties, blouses, polos, khakis, and knee length or longer skirts are generally considered appropriate career fair attire.
- Bring copies of your resume to hand out. Business cards may be helpful have - be sure to also collect one from each representative you speak with.
- On the day of the Career Fair, CyRide #23 Orange will make an extra stop near Hilton Coliseum.
- Check CyHire under the 'Events' tab to find out which employers will be at the career fair and research them ahead of time.
- Always begin with a smile and a handshake when you introduce yourself. For example: “Hello, my name is ______ and I’m looking to utilize my skills in ______, ______, and ______.” Then, show them you are prepared!
Here are some other helpful ways to initiate a conversation:
- “I saw on your website that your organization ______ (new initiative or unique fact)”
- "I’m looking for opportunities in…”
- “I was particularly interested in your organization because ______ (something you discovered in your reseach)
In order to maintain the professionalism of these events and make the most positive impression, the following attire is strongly encouraged for all attendees. Business professional or business casual dress is appropriate and includes business suits, slacks, dress shirts, ties, blouses, polos, khakis, and knee length or longer skirts.
Jeans, shorts, sweatshirts, and t-shirts should not be worn. Attendees wearing these items or any other non-professional attire determined by the event staff may be asked to leave the event and return in more appropriate attire.