Prepare for your next adventure by taking LAS 203X!
“This class provides you with the tools to improve and expand your abilities to successfully navigate the job market. You improve your resume, cover letter and how to best present yourself to get an internship or job.” – Jordan Hamann, LAS 203X student in Fall 2018
What is LAS 203X?
LAS 203X is a one credit, 8 week course designed to provide students with knowledge on foundational career-related topics such as resume writing, interviewing, negotiating offers, and other career related topics. Students will develop effective strategies for overall professionalism and internship/job seeking methods to positively impact future career success.
What topics will LAS 203X discuss?
This course will cover a variety of career related topics such as:
- Resumes and Cover Letters
- Job & Internship Search Strategies
- Career Fair Preparation
- Networking and LinkedIn
- Salary/Offer Negotiation
- Professional Etiquette/Netiquette
- College to Career Transition
- Personal Branding and Strengths
Who can take LAS 203X?
This course is open to students in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences who are sophomores and above. Register in AccessPlus!
When is LAS 203X offered?
LAS 203X is a half semester (8 week) course that is offered online and also in a face-to-face format that meets twice each week. The class will be offered during the following dates/times in Fall 2019:
First 8 Weeks of the Fall 2019 Semester (8/26/19-10/18/19)
- Online section
- Mondays & Wednesdays: 12:10pm – 1:00pm
Last 8 Weeks of the Fall 2019 Semester (10/21/19-12/20/19)
- Online section
- Tuesdays & Thursdays: 3:10pm – 4:00pm
*Courses meet for only half the semester. Open to Liberal Arts & Sciences students, sophomore and above.
What do students say about LAS 203X?
- “Before I took the LAS 203X course I was nervous about my future and did not know what my next steps were, now I have networks in my career field and confidence I can be successful in the future!” – Renee Redmond
- “LAS 203X has helped me feel more career ready and have a better idea of what to expect post-graduation.” – Taylor Ann Henricks
- “I have learned so many tips and tricks, as well as information I never would have known.” – Audri Ruble
- “LAS 203X has helped me become more confident when speaking with employers. Career fair knowledge is so valuable! No one is ever too successful to learn more about it.”- Rachel Meehan
- “This class will help you with preparing for your career and real life unlike any other class you’ll take.” – Brooke Fleming
- “This class has improved my marketability to employers tremendously. My confidence in my own personal brand has improved drastically.” – Cameron Stocker
- “The hardest part about job searching or preparation is just doing it; this class gives the jump start needed.” – anonymous
- “This course has given me the confidence and motivation to break into the career field.”- anonymous
- “LAS 203X provides countless ways to prepare any student for a possible career they wish to pursue.” – anonymous
- “I learned how to be confident in myself, my skills and my qualifications. I discovered what I want in a future career and the steps I need to get there.” – anonymous
Who is the instructor?
Angela Wagner is the course instructor and career education coordinator in LAS Career Services. She started instructing career preparation classes at Iowa State University over three years ago. Angela is also an ISU alum with a Bachelor of Science degree in Marketing (May 12’) and a Master of Education degree in Higher Education (Dec. 18’). Her passion for career services began during her graduate assistantship in the LAS Career Services office during 2014. She has a sincere passion for inspiring students and helping them achieve their future career goals.