LAS Career Services’ career workshops are an efficient way to learn about career topics, like resumes and career fair preparation. Whether you need a refresher or are brand new to these topics, come learn from experts with a group of your peers! We also offer classroom presentations and presentations for student organizations and campus partners.
Career workshop webinars
Navigating the ISU Career Fairs
Career fairs are a great place to network; explore career options; and learn about internships, full-time jobs, and graduate/professional schools. This workshop webinar will teach you how to successfully navigate the career fair(s) and make them work for your current career development phase, whether you’re in your first semester or about to graduate. You will leave this presentation knowing:
- Why attending a career fair is worth it
- Which career fair(s) you should attend
- How to research and find participating organizations that align with your interests
- What to wear to a career fair
- How to stand out and introduce yourself to employers
- Watch the LAS Career Services webinar ‘Navigating ISU Career Fairs’ at https://go.iastate.edu/6JBCZ1
Building YOUR Resume
A resume introduces you to potential employers or graduate schools and summarizes your experiences, skills, and accomplishments. Despite the many templates you’ll find online, resumes are not one-size-fits-all documents. You will leave this webinar presentation knowing:
- How to customize your resume to your career goals
- How to format and organize your resume for maximum impact
- Which sections are required, and which optional sections may work for you
- A formula for writing detailed bullet point experience descriptions
- What experiences and skills employers most want to see on resumes
- Watch the LAS Career Services webinar ‘Building Your Resume’ at https://go.iastate.edu/WLHP0Q.
As of the 2023-2024 Catalog, all LAS students will be required to take LAS 203: Professional Career Preparation. This is an exciting but very large undertaking that ensures all students will receive an overview of the entire career development process (detailed list of topics on the LAS 203 website) in a neatly packaged course. As a result, LAS Career Services is, unfortunately, no longer able to offer tailored classroom presentations as of the Fall 2023 semester. We will, however, gladly send a staff member to any LAS classroom to provide a standard 10-20 minute overview of our services. To request an overview session, please fill out the Guest Speaker Form.
Student organization and campus partner presentations
LAS Career Services will consider presentation requests from academically based student organizations and Iowa State University campus partners. We are not able to support non-academically based student organizations, including fraternities, sororities, and residence halls, or non-ISU entities, due to resource and time constraints. To arrange a presentation for your organization, please fill out the Guest Speaker Form. Please limit your requests to one visit per semester.
Presentation topics we could bring to your group include:
- Overview of Career Services
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Exploring Career Options (tailored to your group)
- Networking/Career Fair Preparation
- Translating Your ______ Experience to Your Career (tailored to your group)
- Leveraging LinkedIn and Online Networking
- Job/Internship Search Strategies
- Evaluating and Negotiating a Job Offer