Fall 2020 Virtual Programming
All programming for Fall 2020 will be done in a virtual format. Below are the programs LAS Career Services will be offering to all LAS students. Be sure to register through the provided WebEx link below and keep a close eye on your emails for additional programming information throughout the semester. Please contact LAS Career Services at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Careers in Fundraising
November 3rd from 4:00 – 5:00 PM CST
Are you interested in pursuing a career in fundraising? Listen to LAS alumni Austin Rinker, the Assistant Director of Development at the Iowa State University Foundation, as he discusses the following questions:
- What is fundraising? What do you do?
- What job titles should I search for?
- How can I steer my career towards fundraising?
- What experiences/skills serve you well in fundraising careers?
- How to stand out in the interview process?
- How to work in fundraising without being a fundraiser
Biological Careers Outside of the Lab and Academia
November 5th from 4:00 – 5:00 PM CST
Join staff members from the American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) for a webinar program exploring different career paths biologists can pursue. Panelists will share experiences and insights about their career paths and offer advice about pursuing employment outside academia. Following presentations from the panelists, there will be an opportunity for participants to ask questions of the speakers.
- – Jyotsna Pandey, AIBS Public Policy Manager, will talk about alternative employment sectors, including opportunities in science policy.
- – DaJoie Croslan, Senior Scientist and Program Manager, will discuss career opportunities in peer review.
November 10th from 4:00 – 5:00 PM CST
Have you thought about pursuing a career in the museum industry? Cynthia Sweet, Executive Director of the Iowa Museum Association, will discuss the many different types of jobs that are available in the museum industry and what people in those jobs do.
Classroom and Student Organization Presentations
Career Services is always looking for opportunities to educate students about career-related topics. We are very interested in serving as a guest speaker to your LAS student organization or class. Presentation topics we could bring to your group include:
- Overview of Career Services
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Networking/Career Fair Preparation
- Maintaining a Professional Online Presence
- Interviewing Tips
- Job/Internship Search Strategies
- Evaluating and Negotiating a Job Offer
Topics can be adjusted to fit your students’ needs. To arrange a presentation for your class or organization, please fill out the Guest Speaker Form or contact Taren Reker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-294-2967.
Please note: Iowa State University Career Services will consider presentation requests from academically based student organizations and ISU offices, but is not able to support non-academically based student organizations, including Greek organizations and residence halls, or non-ISU entities due to resource and time constraints.