Prepare for your next adventure by taking LAS 203! Register in AccessPlus!
“This class provides you with the tools to improve and expand your abilities to successfully navigate the job market. You improve your resume, cover letter and how to best present yourself to get an internship or job.” – Jordan Hamann
Learn About LAS 203
What is LAS 203?
LAS 203 is a one credit, 8 week course designed to provide students with knowledge on foundational career-related topics such as resume writing, interviewing, negotiating offers, and other career related topics. Students will develop effective strategies for overall professionalism and internship/job seeking methods to positively impact future career success.
What topics will LAS 203 discuss?
Students will gain information and skills on how to navigate the job/internship process.
This course will cover a variety of career related topics such as:
- Resumes and Cover Letters
- Job & Internship Search Strategies
- Career Fair Preparation
- Networking and LinkedIn
- Salary/Offer Negotiation
- Professional Etiquette/Netiquette
- College to Career Transition
- Personal Branding and Strengths
Who can take LAS 203?
This course is open to students in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences who are sophomores and above. Register in AccessPlus!
When is LAS 203 offered?
LAS 203 is a half-semester (8 week) course that is offered online and also in a face-to-face format. The class will be offered during the following dates/times for the upcoming semesters:
First 8 Weeks of the Spring 2021 Semester (January 25 – March 19)
- Canceled: Section 1 – Mondays & Wednesdays: 12:05 pm – 12:55 pm
- Section 3 – Online section (No scheduled online meetings; complete modules/work on your own time)
Last 8 Weeks of the Spring 2021 Semester (March 15 – May 7)
- Canceled: Section 2 – Tuesdays & Thursdays: 11:00 am – 11:50 am
- Section 4 – Online section (No scheduled online meetings; complete modules/work on your own time)
First 8 Weeks of the Fall 2021 Semester (August 23 – October 15)
- Section 1 – Mondays & Wednesdays: 12:05 pm – 12:55 pm
- Section 3 – Online section (No synchronous class time but you will likely be asked to meet at a regular meeting time of your choosing with a small group of peers)
Last 8 Weeks of the Spring 2021 Semester (October 18 – December 17)
- Section 2 – Tuesdays & Thursdays: 3:40-4:30 pm
- Section 4 – Online section (No synchronous class time but you will likely be asked to meet at a regular meeting time of your choosing with a small group of peers)
What do students say about LAS 203?
LAS 203 Student Testimonials
- “Overall this course is one of the most important classes that all students should take. The class is filled with relevant life and career lessons.”
- “Absolutely loved this course and feel confident for life after graduation! Thank you so much for offering this class.”
- “I really appreciate the course, I have a summer internship lined up and this class played a factor in that.”
- “I enjoyed the entire course because the information and activities all felt very useful and purposeful.”
- “This class has made me feel a lot more comfortable with the internship and job seeking process..after this class, I have been able to get an internship and have been applying for jobs and acing my interviews! Thank you so much for this class, and it should be a required course!”
- “I really got a lot out of this class. I would recommend it to anyone at Iowa State… I actually think students should be required to take this class before graduation to help prepare us for the real world.”